Our style of dyslexia assessment
Dyslexia Positive is committed to providing assessments that suit an individual’s needs and background. We include a mixture of qualitative and quantitative assessment tools. We choose from a bank of assessments, which may include:
- A diagnostic interview probing early experience, significant indicators and the person’s self assessment of their strengths and difficulties.
- A reading style analysis, considering, speed, fluency, word attack skills and comprehension. We consider single word reading and reading of extended text.
- A writing style analysis, considering structure, form, language, vocabulary, handwriting and word processing skills, spelling and proof-reading.
- A spelling error analysis.
- Assessments of working memory, processing speed, hand-eye coordination, phonological awareness, verbal and visual reasoning.
- An assessment of underlying ability.
- Further tests and checklists to investigate dyspraxia, dyscalculia, attentional difficulties and the balance of co-occurring aspects. These extra assessments add to the overall time for assessment and the potential cost.
A typical assessment could take between 3 and 5 hours contact time.
Our diagnostic assessment reports vary in length and style:
- A “Form 8” for applying for consideration in public examinations.
- A short report for an employer, a family member or the person themselves, interpreting our findings in a concise way.
- A full diagnostic report, meeting the requirements for applying for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).