Additional learning support for adult students (post 16)

Students studying higher education (university) can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

If you are an adult student in a further education (FE) college or at an adult education (AE) Centre, your support is funded in a different way.

You will ned to show that you have additional learning needs.  Colleges may ask you to do an initial assessment or screening test, followed in some cases by a full diagnostic assessment.

Once your needs have been identified, the FE or AE provider is required by law to make a “reasonable adjustment” to meet your needs.  Most colleges provide additional learning support in the form of one-to-one tuition, small groups or study workshops, specialist equipment on loan to you or for use in a learning centre.

Many FE and AE providers have only limited funds for this support, so you need to be proactive in requesting what you think you reasonably need. Remember to take up your allocation, because you may lose it if you do not attend your support sessions.


Get in touch