Welcome to the discussion area of the Dyslexia Positive website. The idea is that anyone interested in dyslexia can join in a discussion based on themes initiated by a member of the Dyslexia Positive team. Please participate by commenting on the articles and feel free to ask any questions!

Posted 2nd March, 2011 by admin

Did you know that students who have been assessed for dyslexia can usually apply for additional funding if they are studying on Higher Education courses through the Disabled Students Allowance or DSA?

The purpose of this funding is to cover additional costs, for example the cost of a note-taker in lectures or the costs of working with a study skills tutor. For many students these services may have been put in place automatically at school or college.

Funding can also cover the cost of equipment, such as a computer with specialist software, or general ‘consumables’ such as a contribution to costs of textbooks and additional photocopying.

The application process for students who are due to start Higher Education courses from September 2011 will be open soon (from mid-March).

Prospective students are advised to apply as soon as possible as the process can take up to three months. There is an advantage to completing this process before you start your course as you can then ensure that support is in place from the first day of your studies.


How do I claim DSA?

  • To claim this funding you need to ensure that you have an up to date dyslexia assessment from a specialist teacher (such as any of the Dyslexia Positive team) or an Educational Psychologist.
  • You then have to send this with a completed application form to Student Finance.
  • They will then confirm if you are eligible and ask you at attend for a ‘needs assessment’ at a local needs assessment centre.
  • Once you have attended the needs assessment a further report is sent to Student Finance.
  • Student Finance will then contact you directly detailing what level of help will be available and how to arrange this.

For more information see:



  • Melaneknight

    Hi June
    Thank you for making the process of claiming DSA very clearDo you know if Student Finance England send a list of “needs assessment centres” when  they reply to students  to confirm they are eligible  for DSA ?

    Only 3 weeks ago, a student I had assessed contacted me. She had applied for DSA and it had not been made clear to her what she needed to do next. When I explained she needed to have a “needs assessment” she had no idea where to go for one. Fortunately I was able to give her the contact details of a local “needs assessor” that Ros had found for another DSA student

To receive an email when a new article is published, enter your email address:

NB: you should receive an email asking you to confirm whether you want to subscribe.